GPS Challenge ticks all the boxes for creating a state of flow with players.
On Wikipedia the flow state is described as:
“In positive psychology, flow, also known as the zone, is the mental state of operation in which a person performing an activity is fully immersed in a feeling of energized focus, full involvement, and enjoyment in the process of the activity. ”
It gives 2 advantages to be able to create the flow state in connection with teambuilding.
- The activity is perceived positivly with a feeling of full involvement, energized focus and enjoyment.
- The behavior reflects the participants true behavior with no underlying steer which makes it easier to identify learning points for both the individuals and the team.
State of flow in GPS Challenge
Owen Schaffer, an american Positive Psycologist researcher. He has adapted Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi’s flow theory to make human-computer interfaces and designs more engaging, usable, and enjoyable. Through his work he has listed below requirements for initiating the state of flow in human computer interactions.
- Knowing what to do
- Knowing how to do it
- Knowing how well you are doing
- Knowing where to go (if navigation is involved)
- High perceived challenges
- High perceived skills
- Freedom from distractions
GPS Challenge “ticks all the boxes”.